Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings Recipe
Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings are the perfect dessert for a crisp autumn evening.
This recipe is so easy to make that even your kids can help out in the kitchen!
A classic and favorite dessert.
Made with pie crust pastry, Granny Smith apples, butter, brown sugar, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, water, vanilla extract, and sugar.
If you’re looking for a new and tasty dessert recipe, give these apple dumplings a try.
These classic American desserts will be sure to wow at any dinner party or family gathering.
The best part about this dish is it’s simplicity.
Sometimes you just want a classic dessert to remind you of home. This dessert is the perfect option when that nostalgia hits and it’s time for something sweet!
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings
- 1 pastry for double crusted pie
- 6 large Granny Smith apples peeled and cored
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by coating with butter
- Lightly flour a flat surface
- Roll pastry out to form a 24 x 16 inch rectangle (approx).
- Cut rectangle into 6 squares.
- In the center of a square, place an apple with the cored hole facing up.
- Cut the butter to 8 equal pieces, and place 1 in each of the apple core holes. Reserve the other 2 pieces of butter for later.
- Separate brown sugar into 6 equal parts. Place brown sugar inside of apple core hole, around the bottom of the apple, and on top of apple. Repeat for the other 5 apples.
- Sprinkle apples with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Lightly wet fingers. Pick up a corner of a pastry square, then pick up the opposite corner. Bring to the top of the apple and squeeze the points together. Pick up another corner, then pick up the opposite corner. Squeeze together to seal the pastry. Pinch together the open sides to fully seal the pastry. Repeat for the rest of the apples.
- In prepared baking dish, place the apples
- In a saucepan, add water, vanilla extract, white sugar, and the reserved butter. Stir to mix.
- Over medium heat, bring mix to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved, stirring often,
- Pour sugar mixture on top of the apple dumplings
- In preheated oven, bake 50 – 60 minutes.
- To serve: Place a dumpling in a dessert dish, and using a spoon, top with sauce from the bottom of the baking dish.
You May also Like:
- Homemade Copycat Pizza Sauce (Pizza Hut)
- Delicious Strawberry & Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- Finger-Lickin’ Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket
- Mouthwatering Homemade Beef Enchiladas
- Irresistible Baked Meatballs