Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe.
A tangy appetizer or side dish recipe made with unripe tomatoes, flour, Italian seasoning, black pepper, cayenne pepper, eggs, and milk.
Get out your skillet, and fry up a Southern classic!
Pairs well with chicken or fish.
Quick and easy, ready in 25 minutes.
Vegetarian and Low fat.
Side Dish Recipes
Quick and Easy Recipes
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3 green tomatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- oil for frying
- Prepare a wire cooling rack by lining with paper towels.
- Cut tomatoes into ⅛ inch slices.
- Place tomato slices on prepared wire rack in a single layer, Place more paper towels on top of tomatoes. Lightly pat to dry. Leave until tomatoes are dry or the seasoning won't stick.
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl, add flour, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Stir to mix well.
- In a shallow dish, break eggs and add milk. Beat to combine.
- Heat a skillet on high heat, and add approx ½ inch oil.
- Dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture, shake lightly to remove excess. Then place in flour mixture coating both sides.
- Place in prepared skillet and fry for approx 3 minutes per side, or until tomatoes are browned.
- Place finished tomatoes on the wire rack until you have finished all slices.
You May also Like:
- Homemade Copycat Pizza Sauce (Pizza Hut)
- Delicious Strawberry & Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- Finger-Lickin’ Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket
- Mouthwatering Homemade Beef Enchiladas
- Irresistible Baked Meatballs