Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples Recipe
I love going to the apple orchard every year around this time. The crisp, fresh air and the smell of apples as you walk down the path is one of my favorite things about fall. This year I decided to do something a little different with those delicious apples from our farmer’s market: make some caramel apples!
I can’t imagine Halloween without them! This recipe is so easy and absolutely delicious. The best part about these apples is that you can choose your own toppings for the ultimate personalized dessert. Some of my favorite toppings are crushed peanuts, and even sprinkles!
Since Halloween is right around the corner, I figured it would be a great time for me to share how these yummy treats are made.
Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples Recipe. A decadent Fall dessert the kids will love! These Granny Smith apples are made with caramels, chocolate candy bar, shortening, colored candy coating melts, and crushed peanuts.
Decorate your apples with your favorite toppings. The combinations are endless! They only take 10 minutes to make, and 30 minutes to set. A great project to do with the kids. Perfect for Halloween!
How long Do They Last
They should last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Get create with decorating your apples. After your apple is dipped in caramel, you can fully dip it in chocolate, or your can just drizzle the chocolate. You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate. Use colored candy melts, or white, like I did. You can use nuts and/or sprinkles. Let your creative flow!
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with waxed paper, and spraying the paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with water, place of medium/high heat and bring to a boil.
- In boiling water, carefully add apples. Remove using a slotted spoon after 10 – 20 seconds. Wipe apples with a paper towel to dry and remove wax.
- Let apples cool.
- Insert popsicle sticks in the core of each apple.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add unwrapped caramels and 2 tablespooons of water.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook for 2 minutes on HIGH setting.
- Stir and microwave another 1 minute. Stir and repeat until melted and smooth.
- Pick up an apple using the popsicle stick, and dip in caramel to coat well.
- On prepared baking sheet, place the coated apples
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator for approximately 15 minutes to allow caramel to set.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and 1 tablespoon of shortening.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip apples in chocolate to cover the caramel, or using a spoon, drizzle over the top of the apples if you prefer less chocolate.
- Place apples on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add candy melts and the rest of the shortening.
- Microwave for 30 second intervals stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted candy melts over the apples.
- Add nuts or sprinkles if desired.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Wrap each apple in plastic wrap if storing for later.
- Keep refrigerated. They should last up to about 2 weeks.
* Substitute any topping ingredients with your favorites. You can use sprinkles, white chocolate, any type of chopped nuts, etc. Using colored candy melts, or white, like I did. * Be sure to refrigerate long enough. It’s best if they are refrigerated overnight. * Should last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
You May also Like:
- Simple Italian Sponge Cake
- Best Grilled Barbecue Ribs
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots
- Best Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- Spicy Jalapeno Hush Puppies