King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
There is nothing better than a big dish of King Ranch Chicken Casserole. This Tex-Mex recipe will satisfy your cravings and make you feel like royalty.
It’s a hearty dish, perfect for winter nights when you want something warm and filling. This recipe is delicious, easy to make, and can be prepped ahead of time so that all you have to do it pop it in the oven before dinner.
This is the best recipe to serve for a family get together. This dish has been around for generations and it’s easy to make. It only takes about 30 minutes to put this dish together and then you can pop it into the oven while you enjoy your company!
If you’re looking for a new family favorite or a perfect meal to take to someone’s house for dinner then try out this amazing dish.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 can (10.75oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.75oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10oz) diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1 cooked chicken torn into shreds or cut into chunks
- 8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- 10 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat over high heat.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper. Saute approximately 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the onion mix, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, sour cream, ancho chile powder, cumin, chipotle chile powder, and oregano. Stir to mix well.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, add a few tablespoons of the soup mix and spread to coat the bottom of the dish.
- Add ½ of the chicken and spread to an even layer.
- Pour half of the soup mix on top of the chicken.
- Top with ⅓ of the cheese on top of the chicken.
- Top with a layer of tortilla chips.
- Add a layer of the rest of the chicken.
- Add a layer of the soup mix, but save ½ cup of the sauce for later.
- Top with ⅓ of the cheese, then the rest of the tortillas.
- Add the reserved ½ cup of soup mix, and then the rest of the cheese.
- In preheated oven, bake approximately 40 minutes, or until the casserole begins to bubble.
- Set oven to broil, and broil for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top becomes golden, Don't walk away, it will burn quickly.
You May also Like:
- Simple Italian Sponge Cake
- Best Grilled Barbecue Ribs
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots
- Best Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- Spicy Jalapeno Hush Puppies