Mexican Pumpkin Dessert Empanadas Recipe
Mexican Pumpkin Dessert Empanadas are a delicious dessert to serve for any occasion.
They are easy to make and they can be prepared in advance.
The best part is that they only contain a few ingredients: the filling is made with pumpkin puree, eggs, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and ginger. The crust is made flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and water.
Empanadas are a Mexican New Years Eve tradition, but they can be eaten all year round. Change up your pumpkin recipes this fall, you will love this recipe!
Pumpkin pie is a traditional dessert for the fall and winter season.
This recipe will make you feel like you are in Mexico with its flavorful, spicy filling and sweet dough.
They can be prepared ahead of time so all your guests can enjoy them at the same time.
This is a great option for Halloween, or your Thanksgiving dinner. Your family and guests will love this hand held Mexican pie.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Mexican Pumpkin Empanadas
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, and using a whisk, whisk in ⅓ cup sugar, 1½ teaspoons salt, and the baking powder.
- Cut shortening in the flour mix until it becomes course crumbs.
- Stir in water a little at a time until the dough comes together.
- In the bowl, knead dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface.
- Cut dough in 4 equal parts, then cut each 4th into 3rds so you have 12 pieces.
- Roll each of the 12 pieces into ball shapes.
- Cover with a dish towel to rest while you continue with the recipe
- In another large mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree and 2 of the eggs. Stir to mix well.
- Stir in cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, cloves, and ginger. Stir until smooth
- On a floured surface, place balls of dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out into thin circles, approx 6" in diameter. If they stick, place a piece of parchment paper on top before rolling.
- Place ⅓ cup of pumpkin filling off center on each dough circle.
- Fold dough over the filling, making a half circle.
- Using a fork, press the edges of the dough making lines to seal.
- On prepared baking sheet, place empanadas.
- Using a basting brush, brush the tops of the empanadas with egg
- In preheated oven, bake approx 20 minutes or until the crusts are lightly browned and shiny.
You May also Like:
- Simple Italian Sponge Cake
- Best Grilled Barbecue Ribs
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots
- Best Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- Spicy Jalapeno Hush Puppies