Butternut Squash and Beef Stew Recipe
This recipe for butternut squash and beef stew is perfect for autumn, when the leaves are changing color and cooling weather makes it a little more difficult to get outside.
This hearty meal will warm you up from head to toe. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day too! This beef stew is a cozy meal the whole family will enjoy!
A hearty and delicious Fall recipe made with garlic, onion, thyme, rosemary, flour, stew beef, Marsala wine, sun-dried tomatoes, butternut squash, beef broth, and flat-leaf parsley.
It’s also a great freezer meal.
Soup and Stew Recipes
What is Stew Beef
Stew beef is used to make hearty stews and casseroles due to its ability to withstand long cooking times without drying out or getting tough. It’s usually sold in cubes, which can be frozen for up to three months.
What is Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is a delicious vegetable that is perfect for fall. It has a sweet flavor and can be prepared in many ways. Some of the most popular are roasted, mashed with garlic, or pureed into soup.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Butternut Squash and Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 pounds stew beef cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash trimmed and cut to 2 inch cubes
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth as needed
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Add in garlic, onions, thyme, and rosemary. Saute approximately 2 minutes or until onions become tender.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, salt, and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat.
- In the soup pot, add the coated beef, and turn the heat up to medium/high.
- Cook approximately 5 minutes or until the beef is browned
- Add in Marsala wine.
- Gently scrape the browned bits on the bottom of the soup pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the sun-dried tomatoes, and the butternut squash. Stir to mix.
- Add beef broth into the soup pot to just cover contents.
- Turn heat to High, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste,
- To serve, garnish with chopped parsley.
You May also Like:
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Hamburgers
- Irresistible Honey Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
- Salted Caramel Almond Cupcakes
- Best Banana Bread (Without Nuts)
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Zucchini