Chinese Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
Chinese Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce. A delicious Asian meal that’s quick and easy too.
The sauce is made with ketchup, soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch.
The chicken is made with flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic powder, sesame oil, and boneless chicken breast.
This tasty chicken is deep fried to perfection and served with homemade sweet and sour sauce.This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy 30 minute weeknight meal.
It’s simple enough for beginner cooks, but still impresses with its delicious flavor. This dish is a great way to get your fix of Chinese food without leaving home.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
What to serve with Chinese Chicken
Fried Chinese Buffet Donuts
A quick and easy dessert with refrigerated biscuit dough, and sugar.
Easy Chocolate Cake Balls or Cake Pops
Small bites of delicious chocolate cake covered in chocolate confectioners coating.
2 Ingredient NUTELLA® Crescent Rolls
A quick and easy breakfast or dessert recipe the whole family will love!
Grilled Peaches with Honey Pecan Cream
One of the best things about this recipe is that it takes only a few ingredients to make something absolutely delicious!
Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
This salty and sweet treat is to die for!
- Don’t have a Deep Fryer? This is the one we use, and recommend:
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Chinese Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, add soy sauce, ketchup, white vinegar, white sugar, and brown sugar. Stir to mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add cold water.
- In the water mix, using a whisk, whisk in cornstarch until dissolved.
- Whisk the water mix into the saucepan with the soy sauce and whisk vigorously.
- Place the saucepan over medium/high heat, bring to a boil while whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer and stir until sauce has thickened.
- Take saucepan off of heat and set aside.
For the Chicken:
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, sugar, and garlic powder. Stir to mix well.
- Whisk in water and sesame oil until it becomes smooth.
- Place chicken in the flour mixture and stir to coat well.
- In a deep fryer, add oil and set to 375° F
- Place the chicken, carefully in the fryer and fry approximately 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown.
- Carefully take chicken out of fryer and place on paper towels to drain some of the oil.
- Season with seasoning salt right away.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce immediately.
- For the sauce: If you prefer a less sweet sauce, reduce the sugar by 2 or 3 tablespoons.
- You can replace all or part of the water with unsweetened pineapple juice if you wish.
- To serve: Serve sauce on the side for dipping, or place chicken in sauce and toss to coat.
You May also Like:
- Simple Italian Sponge Cake
- Best Grilled Barbecue Ribs
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots
- Best Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- Spicy Jalapeno Hush Puppies