Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe. This easy bread recipe doesn’t use yeast, and you don’t need a bread machine to make it.
Irish soda bread is a simple, yet delicious bread that is perfect for any occasion. This easy recipe only requires a few simple ingredients, and it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
The bread is perfect with a cup of hot coffee or tea, and it’s also great for dipping into soup or stew.
It’s made with sugar, flour, raisins, baking powder, baking soda, salt, caraway seeds, eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream. This is a great recipe for St. Patrick’s Day, or any day.
Soda bread is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, or any time you’re looking for an easy and delicious homemade bread recipe.
What is Irish Soda Bread
Irish soda bread is a type of quickbread that is popular in Ireland. The dough is made with baking soda instead of yeast, which results in a denser and crustier bread.
It can be eaten plain or topped with butter or jam.
This easy-to-make bread only requires a few simple ingredients, so it’s perfect for novice bakers.
How long does it last
Store in an air tight container for up to 3 or 4 days.
Can you freeze Irish Soda Bread
Yes. Once the bread reaches room temperature, place in an air tight container, and freeze up to 3 months.
To thaw, place on the counter until it fully thaws.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
What to serve with
Jam, Jelly, or Butter
Butternut Squash and Beef Stew
This hearty meal will warm you up from head to toe. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day too!
Quick and Easy Stove-top Shepherd’s Pie
This classic comfort food recipe is an easier option when you need a fast meal.
Potato Soup with Ham and Cheddar
This potato soup recipe is the perfect comfort food – it’s hearty, creamy, and loaded with flavor. Plus, it’s easy to make and perfect for dinner or lunch.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is so easy and delicious that you’ll be craving it all year long!
Beef Tips with Gravy and Rice
A hearty, comfort food dinner recipe made with sirloin beef tips, green bell pepper, yellow onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, seasoned salt, ground black pepper, and flour.
Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Prepare a 9 inch cast iron skillet, by spraying with nonstick cooking spray, or by greasing.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the 4 cups of flour, and set aside for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 4 cups of flour (minus the reserved 1 tablespoon), raisins, sugar, baking powder, salt, and caraway seeds.. Stir to mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream. Stir to mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- In the bowl, knead the dough approximately 10 times. It will be sticky, so you can flour your hands first if you would like.
- In the prepared skillet, add the dough.
- Pat down the dough.
- Using a knife, slit the top of the dough approximately 4½ inches deep.
- Using the reserved tablespoon of flour, dust the top of the dough.
- In preheated oven, bake approximately 65 – 75 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool until it can be handled.
- Turn out the bread from the skillet and place on a cooling rack.
You May also Like:
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake
- Easy Copycat Chex Mix
- Quick and Easy Italian Bruschetta
- Copycat Denny’s French Toast
- Copycat Auntie Anne’s Soft Pretzels