Potato Soup with Ham and Cheddar Recipe
Potato Soup with Ham and Cheddar Recipe. There’s nothing quite like a warm, comforting bowl of soup on a chilly day.
This potato soup recipe is the perfect comfort food – it’s hearty, creamy, and loaded with flavor. Plus, it’s easy to make and perfect for dinner or lunch.
The best part? You can customize it however you like – add in your favorite veggies or protein.
Made with chicken broth, potatoes, ham, corn, celery, onion, salt, pepper, butter, flour, milk, and cheddar cheese.
With just a 10 minute prep time, you won’t spend all day in the kitchen.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links provided may be affiliate links where I may earn a commission if you purchase something after clicking on a link. No extra cost is added to you. Also, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through links.
What to serve with
Mini Cocktail Meatballs Appetizer
Made with ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, jellied cranberry sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, and lemon juice.
Homemade Buttery Crescent Rolls
This delicious bread recipe is easier to make than you would think. Made with active dry yeast, water, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, and flour.
Homemade Amish White Bread Without a Bread Machine
This simple, yet delicious bread is perfect for any occasion, and best of all, it’s really easy to make!
Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings
Makes a great appetizer, or meal.
Slow Cooker Baked Chicken
This simple recipe is a family favorite.
Caramel Glazed Apple Pound Cake
This is a delicious twist on the classic pound cake.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
The perfect dessert for the chocolate lover.
Secret Ingredient Lemon Bundt Cake
This is an easy dessert made with boxed yellow cake mix, instant coconut cream pudding mix, dried tarragon, lemon-lime soda, lemon juice, eggs, and vegetable oil.
If you need to change the amount of servings the recipe will make, click on the number of servings in the section under the “Print Recipe” bar, and move the slider up or down to change the number of servings you want. Or to double or triple the recipe, click on the 2x or 3x next to “Ingredients”.
Potato Soup with Ham and Cheddar
- 3¼ cups chicken broth
- 3½ cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 1½ cups ham diced and cooked
- ½ cup corn
- ⅓ cup celery diced
- ⅓ cup onion chopped finely
- salt to taste if needed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- crumbled cooked bacon optional
- In a stockpot, add chicken broth, potatoes, ham, corn, celery, and onion.
- Place stockpot over medium heat, and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- In the stockpot, add salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Place a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Add butter to melt.
- When the butter is melted, using a wire whisk, whisk in the flour until it becomes thick.
- In the saucepan, add in milk a little at a time, as you whisk. Don't let clumps form.
- Increase heat under saucepan to medium, and stir approximately 4 to 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir to mix well.
- Continue cooking until heated through.
- The soup will thicken after it comes off of the stove,but if you want to thicken the soup more before taking it off the stove, remove a potato (or a few) from the soup and smash it between to spoons, then stir it back into the soup.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon if desired.
You May also Like:
- Simple Italian Sponge Cake
- Best Grilled Barbecue Ribs
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots
- Best Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- Spicy Jalapeno Hush Puppies